Friday, August 19, 2011

Foodie Fridays

I've decided to start a new weekly post, for those weeks I'm in town. I'm not sure how long it will last as I do tend to be sporadic and things are heating up in the crazy wedding planning stage. But Friday is usually a "light" day in the evenings of this abode and I'm going to start trying out some new recipes (in anticipation of becoming a Mrs).

For my first trick - Won-ton Pizza Rolls
(head on over to Peas & Crayons for the original recipe, and other amazing goodies)

Now, Ms P&C does a pretty fantabulous job of detailing out all you need to do. But I'm nowhere near the kitchen expert she is, so for those that are "beginners" out here in blog-land I'll show you how mine turned out.
My first step was to figure out if I could create the faux-fryer...and I totally happened to have the necessary equipment:

You are looking at a cooling rack on top of a aluminum foiled cookie sheet. I must admit, I was skeptical as to how this would work...but it did amazing!

Next up - ingredients:
Won-ton wrappers (that I had to search on their website to find where they were sold here in SoCal - Albertson's), pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, pasta sauce, Parmesan cheese.

Preheat oven:

Put your won-ton wrapper on the "creating" surface of choice:

Toppings: there is no particular order for this (I played around with the different ways to do this). I'm not big on pasta sauce, so I even made a couple without (last pic in this group). Ms P&C created hers with sauteed mushrooms in garlic too, so there's room for creating your own innards.

Put a thin layer of water on two edges:


Fold (the water acts a bit like a glue keeping the sides together), press, put on Faux-Frying rack:

Spray with olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese (actually do this before putting on faux-frying rack otherwise you get a mess below...like you see in mine)

Bake for 8-11 minutes (took about 9 for me...could have gone a or two minute longer for maximum crunch)

And...

Voila':


Won-ton Pizza Rolls!!!

My opinion: these were fantastic. While assembly seems a little time consuming, I'm new to this so I will probably speed up as I get to know what I'm doing. I could have baked a little longer as the edges were crispy/crunchy, but the centers were still soft (but done). The hard part is finding the balance of innards so they don't spill out but I still get the "pizza" taste I'm looking for. That and I LOVE cheese and I want a lot of it...but it's a little hard to keep it closed if it's stuffed too much.

Again, don't forget to check out Peas & Crayons for other great recipes and fun stuff!

Enjoy...
<span class=

No comments:

Post a Comment