Sunday, May 12, 2013

Another Mother's Day Post

Today seems to be like Christmas, Easter, Valentine's, or any other holiday that celebrates with gifts and recognition.

Facebook was BURSTING with "Happy Mother's Day to the Best Mom" posts. Profile pictures were changed to old, faded images that were scanned or a picture of a picture to showcase mom with or with out her children.

And I completely understand. As the daughter of the best mother (no, really, she holds that title...not yours, mine!), I am all for giving the woman who means so much to each of us her due.

But I read a post this morning that brought a different topic to light, still in honor of Mother's Day. If you're familiar at all with Jenny Lawson, you know of her book, Let's Pretend This Never Happened, and her blog, thebloggess.com. If you are not familiar with her, you should be. She is crazy funny! *side note:  her blog would be rated PG-13 or R for language...so if you prefer to not read certain words, you should steer clear.*

She talked about a different group of women today. The women who want to be mom's but can't. The women who lost the chance to be a mom before they were one. The women who decided they couldn't be a mom so they let someone else be a mom their little one. The women who had horrible mothers, or no mothers at all, and are now amazing moms. And the women who don't want to be a mom and have to deal with society telling them they are wrong for not bringing life into the world (seriously though, sometimes I look at the world today and think, "I don't blame you for that decision.").

This got me thinking. I am a daughter of a women in the third category:  A woman who decided she didn't want to be a mom so she let someone else raise her daughter.

I am adopted.

I do not know my biological mom. I have no desire to know her. Call me bitter, but she lost her chance when she gave me up.

I have a real mom, even if we don't share the same blood or partial DNA.

Today I posted tribute to her on Facebook, just like everyone else. But unlike most of the people I know, mine was a different kind of tribute. If you follow me on Facebook, you've seen it already. If not, you can find it here:  facebook.com/ringsgal. (or just read below)

There are many children who start life like I did...unwanted by the woman who gave birth to them. But there was a woman (and man) who wanted me very badly, even though I wasn't her "blood". I can't imagine the heartache and pain that was gone through leading up to the call that said, "We have a little girl for you!" But I'm glad your names were on that list and that call was made to you. I may have been a blessing to you, but you have been such a blessing to me as well. I'm so proud to call you mom! I Love You! Happy Mother's Day!

So to all the women out there who got a second chance at being a mother because of someone else, Happy Mother's Day!

To those women fighting to see a dream realized, don't give up. You're dream is waiting for you. Just realize it may not be the way you originally intended, but your dream is there.

To those who have decided to not have children, good for you. You keep to your heart and what you know is right for you and your husband.

And to those of you who beat the odds of a horrible childhood, or not having a mom around, I salute you for the steps you've taken to make a difference in your child's life! I'm sure it can't be easy, but it will be worth it in the end.

And to my wonderful mother, who truly is the best mom in the WHOLE. WORLD. Happy Mother's Day (from the best daughter in the whole world).

XOXO

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment